Heart of Storms Mod
Site || Forum
In development (Closed beta released, public trailer available)
One of the oldest mods in community (in production since 2002), intended to feature a full-scale single-player campaign in combination with a complete conversion of all five races as well. We aim to combine top-level technical work (unit model, skins, sounds) and a balanced unit set with an intriguing, character-driven story and challenging single-player missions.
- The multi-layered plot closely follows the events of Warcraft I and II, but at the same time interweaves them into an entirely different story;
- The epic conflict is shown through the eyes of characters who just try to find their way rather than becoming great heroes;
- Along with known 'old friends', two new races are introduced, ones never seen before in the world of Warcraft: the enigmatic Shadow Elves of the Aether Cult, worshippers of an Old Goddess; and poweful Stygians, an ancient race of sentient machines, the arch-enemies of both the Burning Legion and Naaru;
- The story takes a step from standard fantasy cliches, to unexpected plot twists, slightly more mature content (it doesn't refer to anything breaching PG-13 rating limit, however) and overall darker atmosphere;
- Plot is approved by Warcraft lore specialists and has no contradictions to Blizzard canon.
- Various missions have various gameplay style, ranging from typical B&D to heavily triggered special events;
- Four playable new races are available both in campaign and multiplayer (Orcish Horde, Ironforge Alliance, Quel'Thalas and Aether Cult);
- Two more races are playable in the campaign (Stygians and Burning Legion), as well as various sub-races such as Dogs of Wars, Red Dragonflight, and more;
- Many new units resemble ones from good old Wacraft I/II: Death Knight, Warlock, Cleric, Dragon Rider and many more, but there's a great number of brand new ones as well;
- Completely reworked balance, introducing a variety of new tactics.
- Each race has a unique visual style;
- Every single new unit has a new model, including many custom ones made from scratch;
- Most units have new voices too;
- Hundreds of new doodads;
- Overall level of graphics is higher than in original Warcraft III, with increased polycount and better quality textures (but still fitting into the limits of Warcraft III engine)
- HoS features exclusive model work from grand masters such as Jigrael and Stuffkikker.
As of 11th February, 2007:
Maps (terrain): 85%
Maps (triggers): 10%
Races concept: 99%
Unit data: 85%
Open beta release scheduled on spring '2007.
Race design and data editing:
Med. Map Guy
An Old Friend
Some of the models and skins are based or partially based on the work of the following people (downloaded from wc3sear.ch and other freeware sources, and/or used under permission):
Melkor the Vala
Some of icons and skins are based on images from:
Warhammer: Dark Omen
SpellForce: Order of Dawn
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Alliance, www.samods.org
Calisto the lil' elf girl
Themire the lil' elf girl
Special thanks to:
Snoopy, Pheonix IV, Xaran Alamas, Beepo and Garfield
Magic, Tufy, Whitehorn, Shad Rak, Calisto, Themire, Danya Kuzmichev, Constantine 'Sledgehammer' Podstreshniy, Deicide, Cynon, Mpskydog (your voice r00lz!), K.O.T.T., Martin Pulido, Celestea, Doomsandwich (Heart of Sauce :)), Med. Map Guy, Games Workshop production (for inspiration), An Old Friend, Alice Prime, Olorin, Revenant, Comissar A. Greed, Manitu, Deever, Raelin, Ringil Do'Urden, L4psha, Helen Novotortseva, Marick, Elina & Lika, Sveta 'Sunlyria', Tasha, Han, Tolkada, Tardo Pirates, Nightcatcher, Tinnindil, Ferwyn, Quasi99, Lazarus X and Magician.
The Heart of Storms Mod's idea, story, hero and unit concepts © Dmitry Rommel 2002-2006.
All graphics (models, skins and icons) from Warcraft III, The Frozen Throne and World of Warcraft, are property of Blizzard Entertainment © 2002-2006